Monday, April 30, 2012

Rodeo and 3000 yr old sequoia

I feel like I haven't written for a long time but it is only a matter of days, but I am seeing so much. From Vegas I took the back roads instead of I-15 down to Desert Hot Springs. What a ride across the Mojave. Lonely and only two lane but no traffic and big rigs to deal with. Saw borax deposits and they actually were driven out by 20 mule teams, also saw a lava cone.

Desert Hot Springs was amazing because it is backed up by Joshua Tree national Park and across the valley is San Jacinto Mt at over 11,000 ft. It is a large valley with thousands of wind turbines. They are working on their 5th generation of wind power and the generators are everywhere dotting  the hill sides. Huge wind goes thru the Palm Springs area . Went over the pass on the way to the outskirts of LA. I went to Sequoia National Monument and the roads were all 4-5 lanes most of the way. The smog was very noticeable.

Went over a pass and ended up in the Central Valley of California. Breadbasket of the state. Massive valley with farms everywhere; citrus, nuts, veggies you name it, over 240 crops as well as dairy and beef cattle.

On my way up to my campground my last town was Springville and they were having a rodeo. so I went to the rodeo on Sunday. The first rider out of the shoot, bareback bucking bronco was absolutely mauled. I was horrified but they just dragged the guy out and continued. No stretcher or anything.

Today I drove up 4000 ft to see the third largest Sequoia tree called the Stagg Tree. 95 ft around. Awe inspiring. The pass up 190 that leads to another grove of Sequoias is finally open, so I will attempt that another day. I was hiking through some snow today looking for the tree. Took my hand held GPs in case I got lost. No cell phone service up this way but they do have this satellite 760 k wireless at a cafe I found up at 5000 ft  in a place called Pierpont Springs. Chain country in the winter. It is so amazing to be up at such elevations and have huge forests. In NH White Mts I would have been close to tree line at 4000 ft.

So I am officially in the Sierra Nevadas and Mt Whitney at 14,000 ft is the highest mt in the lower 48 is in this range. I am camping next to a rushing torrent of the Tulare river and it is is in a grove of huge mossy covered trees. I could barely find a space big enough for my tent. My hot water heater is pumping water but not producing hot water and I am hoping it is just a temporary thing. The temps are warm enough to take a cold  shower but............ The families with kids all left after the weekend and I have the place to myself and the Camp Host and just a few others. Slept till 11 AM today! I better close and leave for  camp as I talked to the host and told him where I was going so I need to get back before dark.

I went the farthest west I am going on Saturday at about 4200 miles so far. Having the time of my life and wish you were all here so I could tell you what it is like in person.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful, Catherine! I wish I were there too. I saw the giant redwoods at Muir Woods when I was a teenager -- an incredible experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brings back memories for me too! We went to Kings Canyon in 2006 and saw some amazing Sequoias. Of course I always seem to have some other bizarro memory. This time it's watching numerous hummingbirds flocking to a bird feeder while eating breakfast at a road's end - overlooking the canyon. Only saw one hummingbird in my life prior to this sighting!

    So how's the wildlife in your neck of the world. Do hope the skunks have been behaving!

    ReplyDelete