Thursday, April 12, 2012

Black and white night visitor

Spent two nights up at Tolby Campground in the Cimarron State Park. Incredible 35  mile drive up the Taos valley to Angel Fire and then the scenery opened up to a huge valley and went north to Eagles Nest and then back climbing to Cimarron. Camped along the Cimarron River with grove of huge cotton woods. Snow still in the woods. Lows at night 36 daytime finicky. Up over 8000ft so decided to take yesterday and do nothing but get used to the elevation but then it poured for several hours and I napped.

Last night I was sleeping soundly when I heard rustling in my side of the tent where the floor is covered. The other half is open to the ground but I didn't have the door between the rooms completely zipped. I thought I heard something and then knew for sure when I felt something go over my quilt and pull on my feet. Then whatever it was went into the other room. I braved the cold and got out my flashlight and went looking and found a skunk in the other half. I quickly closed the zipper to my half and got back into bed and prayed. He/she found it's way out. I had nothing to eat what so ever in my tent so I was lucky. But when I shone the flashlight it was looking kind of frantic and so I beat a hasty retreat. I was very lucky to have him not spray! Cold again this am so I decided to break camp and find a place at lower elevation. Had a 10:30 appointment for getting my car serviced in Taos anyway. So loaded up and made the spectacular drive back to Taos. along the way in the Angel Fire valley is a Vietnam Vets memorial that is very inspiring and uplifting, a real tribute and in a spectacular location.
Got my car serviced and knew there was free internet at the Visitor's Center so am sitting there now. Still need to do laundry. Don't know if I even want to hit the shops. I learned this AM that the Pueblo village is closed to the public until April 20th and that was why I wanted to come to Taos to see the Indian craft work.

I may spend one more night here and then head over to another State Park farther west. I want to be at lower elevation. Up at 8000 ft plus really takes the starch out of me.

The drive here from Tucumcari took my breath away. Went west for awhile and then headed up scenic 518 thru back roads to Taos. It was spectacular and I had been steadily climbiing into the high chaparal without realizing it. Then the 180 degree sky views were unsettleing me again. It is so BIG. The I climbed a huge mt and on the way down the other side I came to a place to stop and I pulled over. I clamped my hand to my heart the view was so spectacular. I literally gasped at seeing the view. Snow capped mts, snow in the upper woods, pine, and just clear sky and you can see forever. I almost cryed it was so beautiful. Taos itself sits in a tremendous valley with surrounding mountains and if I could I would stay forever just staring at the scenery.

There is one weaving store and one knitting store I want to see and then I may head west to another State Park. Need to check elevations. I am into warmth these days but the weather isn't into that quite yet except it is in the 70's during the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment