Wednesday, April 25, 2012

From 30-114 degrees - The Bryce Adventure

The Guide Book says see Bryce Canyon National Park at sunrise. It is 86 miles from Zion to Bryce and then a few more miles to actually get down to Bryce Point where the book says is the best place to watch said sunrise. I set my alarm for 4:30 AM, hopped into my clothes and headed for Bryce. I had prepacked everything I needed the night before. It would happen, of course that I have slept like a log every single night of the trip with the exception of  this one night! The first part of the trip was up the twisting, hairpin turn route 9 on which I came into the Zion valley. Could not make time on that stretch. The sky was horizon to horizon with stars but I knew I was trying to beat the sunrise so I really put the petal to the metal on route 89 north. I arrived with 10 mins to spare. As I drove up the plateau toward Bryce the temperature kept dropping and it was 30 degrees at one point. I hadn't thought of that but did have a fleece and my cowboy had in the car as well as a poly pro top in my pack. So on Sunday, Earth Day, a group of us gathered at Bryce Point and watched the sun come up over the 10,000 ft peaks in the distance. I have to say I was not impressed with what the sunrise did to the rocks. They were impressive enough but I didn't see any great affect from the sun hitting the formations at a low angle. The HooDoo's, as they are called are amazing to look at and the color changes in the rock layers was interesting.
I ate breakfast and at 8 AM headed down the Navajo Loop trail to enter the Bryce "Amphitheatre." I was somewhat apprehensive about hiking down into the canyon because I couldn't get any real accurate figures about the elevation involved or distance. The rim was around 8000 ft to start with. But I headed down anyway and found the trail a mastery of trail work. At one point the trail went down this narrow canyon with 14 switchbacks to get down through a steep section. Then it evened out more and I met up with the Queens Garden trail and headed back up to the rim. The days had been very hot and I wanted to get down and out as fast as possible. The way out wasn't as steep so it was an enjoyable hike and I was really proud of myself handling the elevation. I topped out around 10:30. It was worth going into the canyon to see it all from below as well as from the rim. I then headed back to Zion. I got very sleepy driving and had to stop and get some coffee and food before I could continue. It was great to see the plateau that I had sped across during the night and it was fascinating to see the Seviere River follow the road a good distance. Then I got to drive route 9 again in daylight and it was as good as the first time I drove into Zion.
I have been experimenting with how I leave my tent flaps during the day. Up to keep the sun out, but the breeze out or down to let the breeze in, if there is a breeze, but pretty open to the public. I had left the flaps up and when I got back the tent was in the high 90's. I opened it up but was so sleepy I lay down in the heat for an hour or two. I think I fried my brain because when I woke up it was 114 degrees in the tent. I staggered out and sat in my folding chair in the shade of my tent and drank everything in sight but I really didn't feel well and never ate any dinner.
It had been a very long hot day the day before so the next day I did nothing but sit in a rocker on the covered veranda up at the Zion Lodge and pretended I belonged there. Never broke a sweat all day. Good way to recover.
Off to Las Vegas via the Valley of Fire State Park. I had been hearing about the place from others and it had little green dots on the map and was in my Scenic Byways book so I made it a must see. But then the section of road south of there to Las Vegas was nothing but desolate desert and it spooked me out. Nada, nothing, nobody but me! After 40 some miles there was a break in the mountains and I got a glimpse of Las Vegas and the Stratosphere tower. What a reliainef to see civilization again.
My son had recommended a certain steak house in Vegas called the Golden Steer, which turns out to be within walking distance of the Stratosphere. He always went there on business. I will now have to take out a mortgage on my house to pay for the meal.
Today was Hoover Dam and then the Scenic Byway through Red Rock Canyon. I really don't need to see any more red rocks. Hoover was interesting but so grand I didn't even bother to take my camera. The tourist facilities were very well done and fine materials were used including marble for the flooring and polished railings.
There apparently is an amusement park up on the top of the Stratosphere Tower and on my drive back this afternoon I could see one of those things where you sit in a swing and it swirls around, the swings fly out and around you go. Only the people in this one were being swirled out over nothing. I may go up and check it out now.
Tomorrow I am off through the Mojave Desert to Desert Hot Springs. At least I will be on a well traveled interstate 15 so I don't freak out.

1 comment:

  1. Well Catherine, I'm having double the fun following your blog (as you might notice I have signed up twice!) Don't ask why but I'll give you a hint...didn't remember what account I signed in with the first time!

    So impressed you made it to Bryce for a sunrise. Don't recall it being pretty either. Just remember I was in awe of seeing my first sunrise.

    It's great you took a day off and put up your feet at a lodge. Go Catherine!

    Must ask. Is the road to Zion still some shade of burgandy or some such? I remember it was not your usual black top. As you approach the tunnel going into the park the road was some color using sandstone(?) colors from the hillside?????

    ReplyDelete