Friday, April 6, 2012

On the Road

Greetings from just outside of Paducah, KY. I pity the poor folks that live along the time change line. It goes higgly piggly across S Indiana and then across KY. I need to figure out how to make my GPs recognize central time. I am very close to where the TN River dumps into the Ohio near Paducah and then the Ohio dumps into the Mighty Miss a few more miles downstream. I am eager to cross the Mississippi. I am about 160 miles south of St Louis.
It feels like such a priviledge to drive this great country. I left the Coastal Plain at sea level and have progressed up thru the Piedmont Plateau in PA and then across the Alleghenny Highlands and the Appalachian Plateau. Yesterday I came down from the plateau and hit route I-79 SW thru West Virginia. I didn't realize how high up I was in the Laurel Highlands, where Fallingwater was located, until coming down and having the road have truck runaway ramps. I-79 was in bloom especially for me with the Red Bud trees in full color. Then when I hit KY I crossed into the Central Plains and went through gorgeous rolling hills. I stayed 2 nights just north of Lexington at the KY Horse Park Campground. The area is gorgeous with the huge grasslands with white fences almost as prevalent as NE stone walls. Rich horse country and KY Bluegrass.
It was 36 yesterday and today when I woke up. Needless to say I waited while for it to warm up a little. Tonight they are talking frost. My wonderful car has been averaging 44 mpg and today I got it up to 45mpg. It likes going 71 mph. Beautiful rolling hills all the way here today. I am now truly in the farming heartland of  America. It isn't until you get away from the wretched NE corridor that you realize that this country is really all about farming.
The radio has switched already to religious and country music.  And I get the futures prices on the food markets and no traffic reports!
All day there were the brown interstate signs which traditionally recognize points of interest. I was on the Bourbon Trail today and passed by Abraham Lincoln's birthplace and the Everly Brothers Monument. The highway was also called the Purple Heart Trail and all the bridges and overpasses were dedicated to our Heroes.
When I crossed over the TN river it was the outflow after the dam that forms one of the lakes of  the area known as Land Between the Lakes. In another life I drew an inset map of the Land Between the Lakes for the KY/TN Exxon road map. And yesterday I passed thru Huntington W VA and thought about having just looked at the movie "We are Marshall." (one of my heart throbs - Matthew McCanahy (sp?).
Tomorrow is the National Quilt Museum and some Wall Murals that are put up along the river. Paducah has a thriving Arts District. Then the next day I cross the mighty Miss and head to Springfield, Missouri. I didn't realize that all of southern Missouri and northern Arkansas are part of the Interior Highlands (ie Ozarks). When I refer to geographic regions it is according to my Physiography book.
I am sitting at a Panerra Bread, bless them, as I am out of the wind and even though it is sunny it is not all that warm. Across the way is a Chico's and I don't have the least desire to go over to visit it. and those of you who know me, might think that is very strange. But truth be told, I can't fit another thing in my car!
So this stop will be my 3rd out of the 28 I have planned. I get to switch regional maps on the next leg of the trip. I can put away the AAA Southeastern States and get out the Central States map.
Not sure if I have a working camera or not. When I tried to use it at Fallingwater it kept asking for new batteries.
I can't believe it is only day 5 as I feel like I am in another world. I  have been going to sleep before dark and waking up with the birds, although they are a mite early some mornings. Alleriges have kicked in so I am  taking Claritan D and feeling it's effects. Yesterday when I was supposed to be out touring I sat in the sun and knit my shawl. Purl 2 together thru back loops is a real pain.
Who knows when I will come upon another wifi spot. Greetings to all. why did I wait until this age to see the USA

1 comment: