Saturday, April 21, 2012

Roads with little green dots

What can I say? I had no idea what I was in for at Zion and when I first started to get into the area I thought I must be in Yosemite, but I knew what I was seeing wasn't formed by a glacier. The ride to Zion over route 9 is one of those rides that AAA puts little green dots next to. Always follow the roads with green dots if you want to have a wicked good experieince. Massive uplifts of mountains and peaks all of differnent color and strata. The Zion Canyon is formed by the Virgin River. The river is only 160  miles long and drops over 50 ft per mile. It really packs a punch as far as eroding the valley and slot canyons in the area. The main part of the valley is serviced by propane propelled shuttles eliminating all the car and noise of RV's, and buses. There are stops all along the valley that coincide with interesting features or trail heads. I took it up to the end to the Temple of Sinawawa and worked my way down the valley stopping to hike at 4 places. The valley continues farther north and is called "The Narrows". It turns into a slot canyon that follows the river, often only 20-30 ft wide but 2000ft deep. I learned to rock climb with the idea to do some techinical slot canyons in Utah but never got out of the NE for climbing. this is a major world class rock climbing area and you have to be uber into your self confidence and capabilities to attempt these routes uup the massive walls. all day we watched a pair making their way up a crack.

Tomorrow is the day I will be going to Bryce Canyon. It is 200 miles roundtrip so I don't know if I will get to hike down in the amphitheatre. The geologic strata is so interesting and goes from north to south. This whole area was one big lake at one point (think million of years) and the different strata were laid down and then fused into rock. Then they were uplifted at crazy angles and then eroded. So the bottom strata at Bryce continues south and is the top strata at Zion. And the bottom strata at Zion is the top strata at the Grand Canyon. The Vermillion cliffs that I passed on the way up here are all part of the same uplifting and erosion.

Temps in Zion are wonderful. 50-60's during the night and 80-90's during the day. I will never complain about heat after the cold I have been through.
Getting good at making my own percolator coffee. I added filters and it helps to keep the grounds where they belong. Cooking has not been all that great and last night I really fell to an all time low. I made "Tuna Wiggle." The first "one pot" meal that Girl Scouts learn to make. And I made enough for three meals. yuk. I put a lot of effort into my itinerary and not anything into recipes for one pot or two. Used the shower accessory to my hot water heater for the first time yesterday. First day I have wanted to take a shower  that wasn't indoors!

Can anyone tell me how orchards can grow right at the edge of really dry places? I am seeing a lot of orchards in the strangest places.

Today is day 21 and I have put 3100 miles on my car.

2 comments:

  1. Your blog brings back some vivid memories of Bryce and Zion in the early 80s. Went skinny dipping in a pool of water along a trail in Zion. We also used our blow up mattresses to float down the Virgin River. Saw my first sunrise at Sunrise Point in Bryce Canyon. What a wonderful world you've entered! Take lots of pics. If I recall correctly The Badlands are the top most strata of these layers and most fragile.

    Just returned from a week in red rock country. Meet a few Sedonians who went to Sedonia to visit, fell in love with the landscape and never left. I am sensing something similar in your blog! Hmmm.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a wonderful trip so far except for the tuna wiggle.

    ReplyDelete