Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Laurel Highlands of SW PA are lovely. Small rolling mountains with farms and fields. My first night's campground will be nicknamed "The Turnpike." It sits in the same valley as the Turnpike and the road noise is amplified. But set up site easily. There was a small picnic table so I just put the sun room part of my tent right over the table. Slept like a log.. Disappointed that the PA turnpike has changed since I was a kid. We always looked forward to the single lane tunnels and now one is no longer used and they are all two lanes each way. But then there were no Burma shave signs or Howard Johnson's with 29 flavors of ice cream at the rest stops!
Fallingwater is magnificent. I had an 8:30 tour so set my phone alarm which makes the sound of a croaking frog, and got up at 6. Thirty four degrees showed as the min temperature last night. It was tough getting out of my sleeping bag. But it was worth all the effort to see Falllingwater. In the afternoon I toured another FLWright designed house nearby. It is called Kentuk Knob. Also stopped at some locations in Ohiopyle State Park for a water fall and a location where you can slide down the rocks in the water. Right up my alley of fun things to do but I think it was running a bit high today!
 Got lost on the way back to the campsite but found this MickeyD's and they have wifi. Off to KY tomorrow near Lexington.

No comments:

Post a Comment