Wednesday, May 11, 2016

“Too thick to drink and too thin to plow” - Observation on the Roadways



Part of this story is about the “Great Platte River Road.”  The streams and creeks flowing eastward out of Colorado became known as the North and South Platte. They combine here in North Platte to become the Platte. The Platte flows into the Missouri and that in turn into the Mississippi.

From my reading, historic plaques at rest stops on I-80, and now here in North Platte where I am camping, I have discovered some nuggets of info about the “Great Platte River Road.” This river system is considered one of the greatest “roadways” to the west. It was used by fur trappers, emigrants, military expeditions (to among other things, wipe out the Indians), gold seekers and the Mormons. The Oregon and Mormon Trails followed the rivers as did the Pony Express, the Union Pacific, the Lincoln Highway and now I-80. I have discovered here in North Platte the World’s Largest Railroad Yard. Apparently some 15,000 rail cars transverse this location on any given day. Apparently Wild Bill Cody had a farm here.

The French as the first Europeans, found and named this waterway back in the 1700’s but the Oto and Pawnee were living here for ions. The French named the river the Nebraskier but the Oto word for “flat” took over the name. Two quotes I saw yesterday on a roadside plaque were pretty descriptive: “The Platte is a mile wide, but only 6 inches deep” and “it’s too thick to drink and too thin to plow.”

There is another roadway of sorts here, known as the Central Flyway. Numerous species of birds use this flyway but the most noteworthy are the Sandhill Cranes. Apparently more than 80% of that species stops here on it’s way each fall and spring. I just missed the cranes which come through here up through April.

It was spritzing when I got in last night and set up my tent and dining tarp. It poured and roared with thunder and lightning during the night but today is sunny and windy. I forgot how the winds can blow out in the west. My campsite is next to I-80 and a motorcycle and go-kart facility. I am the only tenter. This is my neighbor.
 

 My dining tarp is called a “sunshade” by the manufacturers and I was curious to see how it would fare during the storm. Because it’s poles are only air filled chambers, I came out this morning to find it’s legs had collapsed sideways sorta. The air had not come out of the chambers, it just needed to be propped up correctly. Stability is not it's strong point! But everything was dry underneath. Note to self: “This was a stupid thing to rely on!” I thought I would give it a try as it is very easy to put up and take down. My tent has alcoves that extend from both the front and rear doors, so push come to shove I can always cook there if it is pouring too heavily. Or I brought a small tarp and two poles to rig a cover if all else fails. 

oops

No comments:

Post a Comment