Saturday, June 9, 2012

The final Post

One reader of my blog questioned why there were no foothills in the Tetons. I  hope you can examine the picture and see that the Tetons, which are the newest Rockies, raised up as a huge block along a fault line and "the hole" sunk at the same time. The mountains haven't had much time to erode, geologically speaking and the hole is still sinking
Nighttime traffic jam. It was a huge herd of mamma's and their calves. (taken through my windshield)

Mammoth Hot springs with travertine features.

The travertine terraces look like desolation and things are fuming.

Wonderful patterns made by algae in the travertine.

More travertine terraces

More colorful patterns. As you might have guessed I love seeing patterns in nature

That hat!

Mud pots burbling

Why the Yellowstone is called the Yellowstone. This is the Great Canyon of the Yellowstone, just below the upper and lower falls. The valley is ochre colored rock.

Lower falls of the Yellowstone with a large patch of snow still in the valley

More traffic jams

Willie Coyote

Mountain goat

Wild Buffalo Bill Cody bronze

Encounters of the third kind at Devil's tower. Sacred Indian site but now a rock climbing Mecca.

The Quad. Washington's eye is 11 feet wide and his mouth is 18 ft wide.

It got up into the 90's when I entered the Badlands.

The Badlands and the last picture I took before I started my mad dash for home. I am outside of Cleveland tonight at my trusty Motel 6 and will get  home late tomorrow afternoon. As of tonight I have put 9156 miles on my car since I left home and have about 500 more miles to go to get home. Phew. Grand time! And thanks to all my readers for sticking with me on this crazy Odyssey!

No comments:

Post a Comment